COLLEGE DEPARTMENTS AND CORE FUNCTIONS
- To introduce students to philosophy, sociology and psychology of education.
- To make students aware of how various theories of education can promote effective teaching and learning in the primary schools.
- To make students aware of how curriculum theories influence educational practices.
- To promote patriotism and national consciousness.
- To make students appreciate their history and national heritage.
- To promote an awareness of the student’s health issues.
- To promote Inclusivity across the college curriculum.
- Exposing student teachers to various historical, philosophical, psychological, and sociological perspectives of child development.
- Equipping student teachers with knowledge of curriculum issues in Early Childhood Development (ECD).
- Promotion of positive attitudes in student teachers towards working with children’s families, and communities in diverse contexts.
- Equipping student teachers with monitoring, assessment, and evaluation skills in ECD programmes.
- Exposing student teachers to educational media and technology for the teaching and learning process.
- Developing in student teachers an appreciation of the developmentally appropriate strategies of handling children within the different stages of early childhood.
- Equipping student teachers with research skills.
- Developing in student teachers creativity, imagination, and aesthetic appreciation.
- Development of an appreciation of class and classroom management.
- To develop in student teachers knowledge, skills, values and attitudes to enable them to become competent language teachers capable of working with primary school children from diverse contexts.
- To assist student teachers acquire skills to effectively communicate ideas and information in various situations.
- To make student teachers appreciate their historical and cultural heritage.
- To promote respect for humanity and appreciation of diversity of culture and religious belief.
- To develop in student teachers positive moral attitudes and values, a sense of personal integrity, self-esteem and identity as worth beings.
- To promote logical reasoning and appreciation of Mathematics and the Sciences.
- To develop an understanding of the relative impact and influence of the science and mathematics on social development, technological advancement, economic growth and educational development.
- To develop positive attitudes towards utilisation, management and conservation of the environment.
- To equip student teachers with knowledge and skills to become resourceful and innovative members of the community.
- To develop student teachers scientific research and management skills.
- To promote creativity and mitigate poverty through entrepreneurial skills.
- To help student teachers acquire skills and techniques in the teaching of Mathematics and the Sciences.
- To develop artistic and entrepreneurial skills in student teachers.
- To develop in student teachers creativity, imagination, self-reliance and aesthetic appreciation.
- To develop literacy and practical skills in Expressive Arts.
- To develop an awareness and appreciation of the aims and values of Expressive Arts.
- To help students acquire skills and techniques in the teaching of Expressive Arts.
- To promote initiative, organisation and administrative skills needed in Expressive Arts.
- To equip student teachers with teaching skills.
- To develop in student teachers the ability to link theory with practice
- To instill in student teachers the qualities expected of an ethical and professional teacher.
- To equip student teachers with educational research and research report presentation skills.
- To promote in student teachers the use of modern teaching and learning technologies.
- To clinically supervise student teachers during Attachment Teaching Practice and Distance Education phase.
- To avail distance education learning materials such as modules and assignments to all students on teaching practice.
- To coordinate open distance learning.
- To support student teachers on issues to do with their social, moral emotional and health needs.
- To provide primary health care to student teachers
- To develop leadership qualities in student teachers
- To coordinate students’ general welfare needs inter alia accommodation, meals entertainment and sports.
- Administration of students records using Students Integrated Systems Approach (SISA)
- Production of college time tables.
- Administration of examinations
- Provision of student and staff college identity cards
- Supporting the teaching and learning activities of the college.
- Promotion of a reading culture.
- Provision of current and relevant educational resources.
- Development of research skills in student teachers
- Preservation of institutional repositories.
- To recruit manpower and promote staff welfare.
- To create budgets for the college and expense in accordance with the statutory instruments.
- To provide advice on the procurement procedures.
- To facilitate mobilisation and management of financial resources.
- To produce monthly income and expenditure reports.
- To maintain and be accountable for the college assets and infrastructure.
- To facilitate staff and manpower development.
- To establish income generating projects
- To advice staff members on conditions of service
- To make procurements for the college.